Home » Community » Message Boards » » Flat Iron Frying My Hair ...

Discussion

Flat Iron Frying My Hair ...

I need some hair advice!

I use a flat iron to get my curls straight, but I feel like it's literally frying my hair.  What can I do to help keep it healthy?

Thanks!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

10 Replies

felicia_rogan
3 years, 3 months ago
Two things that may help

First I have very curly frizzy hair! Picture Carrie from SATC! I got a brazillian blowout and it has been wonderful! But if that's not in the cards for you, then Moroccan Oil! The oil and the mist. I use the oil after my shower while wet and then as I am using my flat iron. If you hear cracking while flattening then your causing damage:) good luck

amityville
3 years, 3 months ago
heat = damage

you are right to feel like you are "literally frying your hair" because you are! Here are some tools and notes about them:
hair dryer- get one with an attatchable nozzle to concentrate and direct air flow, and with a "cool" setting which you should always use. Dry you hair in sections from the bottom to the top using a wide-toothed comb to straighten hair. ALWAYS point the hairdryer downwards on the shaft of the hair. Different directions of airflow are great for the scalp to promote hair growth and volume, but on the shaft it will cause the cuticle to spread, which lets damage in and causes frizzyness.
flat iron- always use the lowest heat setting possible to get the job done. If you apply a straightening product then this will be easier. Make sure you get one that doesn't snag your hair, and fyi ceramic plates don't mean less damage.

amityville
3 years, 3 months ago
cheap products

oh, you need products to protect ur hair as well. Here are my favs, all bought at walmart for less than $5 (and no I'm not affliliated with any of these companies... :

Treseme Heat Protectant spray (i use this all the time!)
Treseme Heat Protectant Straightening something(i actually can't find this to try it, they're always sold out!)
Aussie Tizz No Frizz Gel
Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk (love love love!)
Garnier Fructis  hair serum (dunno the name exactly, the clear liquid for shining & smoothing

Good luck!

aly7
elite
3 years, 3 months ago
re Flat Iron Frying My Hair ...

my hair is insanely curly and ive learned to only staighten once or twice a week. you should only blow dry hair when it is about 80% dry [ that reduces damage] and before straightening try using a leave in conditioner or a heat damage reducement spray. also, when you get out of the shower, comb thru hair and try a straightening balm. this reduces flat iron time and you will have to straighten less.

-aly7♥

KatsuChiika
3 years, 3 months ago
Condition!

My best advice is to make sure that your flat iron is a ceramic one.  Those that mare just ceramic coated, and heated with titanium plates will fry.  Another thingis if your heat setting is too high for your hair type it will also fry.  My hair is very coarse and very thick, so it's ok for my heat setting to be a little higher, but if your hair is fine, and limp, maybe turn it down a few notches.

But my biggest advice is to take care of your hair!  I conditionmy hair everytime I shampoo.  I don't wash my hair everyday because I don't really need to, but whenever I do, I make sure that I am putting the moisture back into my hair with a good conditioner.  Since my hair is normally really dry, and really coarse, I use a deep conditioner, or a mask everytime I condition.  I like th L'Oreal Ever strong mask, it smells good, and doesn't leave a super oily flim on your hair, but you do feel the product after you rinse, so if you don't like that I would shop around for another product.  Another thing you can do to protect your hair is to use a heat protector.  When I curl my hair with my curling iron, I like to use the got2b guardian angel, but since my flat iron doesn't require me to use products before I straighten, I just use a smoothing cream after.  I like the Bed Head After Party.  It's a pretty clean product, and smooths out pretty well.

Hope my advice proves worthy...good luck!

annatotalbeauty
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
Re: Flat Iron Frying My Hair ...

Don't forget to properly prep your hair for heat styling Tracy. Check out these top rated heat styling products to find a good one. 

Kristen_TBeditor
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
Fried hair help

All good tips, ladies! Here are other tricks to keeping your hair healthy: 13 Healthy Hair Secrets. Be sure to check out pages 10 and 11.

Tracyhep
insider
3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely try these tips out. Flat iron won't get me down! Smile

dressx
3 years, 1 month ago

I'd get a proper straightener if I was you, doing it that way is very bad for your hair.

laramasterson
2 years, 8 months ago
Healthy Hair Repair

My favorite way to repair damage (Usually from frying my hair also) is a strengthening conditioner made by a company called Urielpure.

Here is their website: www.urielpure.com

Their conditioner works naturally and is the most effective way that I've found to keep my hair healthy.

Hope this helps!

- Lara

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend