Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Sponge Vs. Brush for Eyeshadow?

Discussion

Sponge Vs. Brush for Eyeshadow?

I use a sponge right now because burshed dont work for me, but whats your opinion? Suggestions for brushes?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

14 Replies

JennaGuru
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
About Brushes

Brushes seem to soft to work with for eyeshadow for me.. I mean dont you need somethign that can really grab the color like a sponge? Brushes seem like they dont grab enoguh color. Or is it just the brushes I use? I use E.L.F. brushes. But the thing i dont like about sponges is that they are more of a disposable kind of thing then somethign you would clean and re-use. Which in my opinion is kind of a waste of money for sponges. I also use the sweep motion when i use a brush, but ill try the pat motion. Sponges seem just to grab more color to me. But if you have any brushes you would like to recommend for me to try im open to opinions.Laughing

angelpumpkin
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
Use what works for you - however, my opinion is brushes

Let me start by saying, I have used both sponges and brushes.  Over the years, I've become more accustomed to the brushes & prefer the results I get with them.  It can be tricky starting out, but you have to be patient with yourself and work on blending.  I find that I am able to smooth and blend all my cosmetics from eyeshadows to blushes better with a brush than a sponge.  The more you work with it, the more you blend, the less harsh the lines of your makeup.  I also find that brushes last soooo much longer, are easier to clean, & though they may cost more, are well worth it in the long run.  It really does depend on what you personally are comfortable - I've seen many artist (make-up artist, that is) at times use their hands to apply makeup.  You really do have to think of it as art & your face the palette - choose your tool, have fun & be inspired.  Feel confident in your work.  Is there any particular reason you aren't fond of brushes, I mean, can you be more descript about what it is you don't like? Happy New Year & best of luck to youInnocent

pynkNymphette
allstar
3 years, 3 months ago
Re: Sponge Vs. Brush for Eyeshadow?

I am curious if you pat or sweep your eye shadow on. When working with brushes I find that patting the powder onto the lid instead of using a sweeping motion really helps. The pigmentation will stay strong and it makes it easier for when you need to blend in another color. Plus there is a lot less fall out! My favorite brushes right now are EcoTools. They are made of high end Taklon fiber but cost a fraction of the price of other lines; such as Urban Decay [they use Taklon too].

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 3 months ago

I like to use brushes personally (I also love the Eco-Tools line, the brushes are so soft). I'm personally grossed out by sponges because I feel they tend to look dirtier than brushes and I'm a clean freak.  I like that I can wash brushes enough so that they look clean too and I feel like they last longer.  

I've never hard a hard time getting enough color on using brushes, but I don't typically wear a lot of eye shadow.  

Good luck!

makeuphkp
3 years, 3 months ago

You should definitely opt for brushes...Sponges grab to much of the pigment resulting in less intensity, plus like angelpumpkin said, you really need a brush to achieve a beautiful blended look. I would suggest for starters trying Japonesque, they have a great little starter set for eyes that would be perfect for you, plus its only 15$! and the brushes are great! 

http://www.japonesque.com/catalogue.cfm?fla=productsSplash

And you definitely need a awesome blending brush I would suggest davinci eyeshadow/crease long blending brush

http://www.promakeupbrush.com/classic_eyeshadow.html
That should be good to get you started! Let me know what you think....
http://makeupartistsadvice.blogspot.com/

sweetsour1981
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
Sponge Vs. Brush

Definately brushes...sponges do tend to cake... and yes, if they look dirty, it's bc they are dirtyLaughingtb 034.JPG

These are the essentials for applying eyeshadow, although, i dont use the blush brush too often for this...but, the Q-tips & small brush are a must have.  When applying mascara, Q-tips can really be a life saver too, they can get into the hard to reach places to correct a small smudge.

makeupbyjanalyn
allstar
3 years, 2 months ago
Definetly Brushes

I think brushes are absolutely the way to go for eyeshadow. If your using a sponge because it packs on the color, try using a stiff flat eye brush. Stiffer brushes will pack on more color if you pat it on the eyelid instead of sweeping it. Brushes also make it easier to blend eyeshadows.

TBjunkie
elite
3 years, 2 months ago
Try brushes

A brush has so much more control, there are some for applying larger areas and narrow tipped ones for lining eyes. Definately experiment with all of them, The Body Shop has good ones you can get at a good price when they have a sale.

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago

I prefer brushes! I love that you can just watch them in a sinch. Sponges always give me trouble, they look so dirty and the old color always comes off. I love E.L.F. Bamboo Brushes. You can get a 4 piece set for $10 or a5 piece one for $15. I like to put on  the shadow with E.L.F. professional shadow brush, then blend it out with E.L.F. bamboo blending eye brush.

BeautyAndAllThat
insider
3 years, 1 month ago
Brushes

For me brushes work best! Especially if I were to use EcoTools or any other brushes with soft bristles. They make blending easier and lets me pack on more color where I need it. The sponges feel like it is tugging on my skin so I'd rather opt for brushes. :)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend