Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » long term hair help?!

Discussion

long term hair help?!

As I approach the dreaded 3-0, I am starting to notice that my mom, aunt, and grandmother have extremely thinning hair (my mom is only 46 however) It looks like straw and as if it is breaking off at the ends (if that makes any sense) My cousin is a few years younger and has already begun to lose her hair.  I have naturally thin hair as it is and need to know what precautions to take to ensure my hair does not succumb to this "family tradition".  ;-)

Thanks!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 3 months ago
Re: long term hair help?!

Do you use a lot of product or heat in your hair? I'd say the best thing you can do now is really keep your hair as healthy as possible (so avoid using things that damage your hair like color, heat, etc) as much as you can. I'd also start taking fish oil supplements as I've heard from a few friends that it has helped their hair's shine and texture.

Also there are products on the market like Rogaine for Women and Nexxus shampoo that are specifically designed for this issue. Though I've heard that especially with Rogaine, once you start using it, you have to keep using it (and it can be expensive).  Last but not least, I've heard doing a coconut oil hair treatment is really good for moisturizing and strengthening your hair. 

Good luck and check out this post we just did on hair rehab for some extra tips on keeping your hair looking good.  http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/rehab-holiday-hair

laramasterson
2 years, 8 months ago
Prevent Hair Breakage

Well on the breakage side of this you can use a conditioner that prevents the breaking and keeps the hairs healthy.

I've posted on this site before about the Strengthening Conditioner by a company called Urielpure.

Here is their site: www.urielpure.com

Hope this helps!

-Lara

lasvegasnv
elite
1 year, 9 months ago
Re: long term hair help?!

A volumizing conditioner like Dove's makes my hair very soft and full of volume. This might work for you.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend