Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » HOW CAN I APPLY FOUNDATION WITH DRY OR FLAKY SKIN????

Discussion

HOW CAN I APPLY FOUNDATION WITH DRY OR FLAKY SKIN????

I've always had dry skin and had a problem with applying foundation bc it usually looks either cakey or just not right. But I had a cold recently so right around the bottom of my nose is sensitive and flakey. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to get around this problem? thanks!!!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

12 Replies

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 4 months ago
Re: HOW CAN I APPLY FOUNDATION WITH DRY OR FLAKY SKIN????

I also have dry skin, especially since I'm now 49.  LOL  If you don't exfoliate, try that at least once a week to get rid of dead skin and flakes.  Cell turnover is not as frequent when you age; I don't know how old you are but it's a factor. Wink Exfoliation, even for dry skin, will help moisturizers penetrate more from what I've read.

Also, use a rich or thick moisturizer only on areas that are especially dry.  I use Vaseline's Deep Moisture Creamy Formula.  It comes in a white tube, and you can get it anywhere you get Vaseline.

After letting the moisturizers absorb a few minutes, I then apply foundation.  I have found that certain formulas or consistencies are TERRIBLE for dry skin.  One example:  NEVER use Cover Girl Whipped Foundation on dry or flaky skin!  Even when I do all the usual exfoliation, etc, there's always a few stubborn flakes or patches that still show up.  And this formula will REALLY call attention to them!  It makes me look as bad as I used to when I got sunburned in my teens!!  You all know how your Surprisedskin flakes after burning.  Well, I looked worse than that.Tongue out

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 4 months ago

First off I would heavily moisturize your skin before you apply foundation. If I don't have cream on my face before I apply foundation it looks flaky on me. Second I would use a really light formula that isn't too heavy. I'm a big fan of the Korres Wild Rose Foundation personally.  Also less is more. Just use it on the specific areas you need it i.e. under eyes, blemishes etc.  I've found these tips help me look good and not cakey.

kellabella
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT TIPS EVERYONE!

Thanks everyone for your great tips, im also glad to know that im not the only one with that problem. I have to say though, it has improved. Here's exactly what I do to prep my face before foundation, 1. I use L’Oreal Paris Go 360 cleanser (in the pink kind). I love it bc its geared toward dry skin and is a creamy cleanser plus it comes with the little exfoliating scrubber! 2. Then if im going to exfoliate (which I usually do every other day) I use St. Ives exfoliating scrub. Then while my face is still moist from cleansing I use Palmer's Coaca Butter mixed with a few drops of vitamin E oil, I let it soak in for at least 10 minutes before I start my makeup. I have 3 favorite primers .  Smashbox photo finish primer (I try not to use this one as much bc it was kind of expensive), Monistat's chafing relief powder gel, (for anyone that hasn't tried this for a primer it works wonders)! Those 2 are great bc they have the silicon thats used to help make your face smooth. I also love Rimmel Fix & Perfect foundation primer. This one is a little different bc unlike the other two it has more of a creamy flesh colored texture. I’ve learned that this helps with evening out your skin tone. Sometimes I’ll use a silicone primer mixed with a little bit of the Rimmel primer.  I've been through tons of different foundations trying to find the right one, I found a few that help with my dry skin. I really like Maybelline's Dream Mouse foundation but...they don’t have my shade. I just tried Rimmel's Lasting Finish 25 hour hydrating foundation. I really like this one, first off it really does last that long and second it goes on smooth like they promise. I try to stay away from powder if I can bc thats when I start to notice the dry skin come back. I do believe though, if it weren’t for the proper cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing etc I would still have problems with flaky skin no matter what kind of primer/foundation I used. It took me a while to find an effective regimen to help this problem. I owe a lot of that to you guys who commented and gave me some really good tips that I use. So thanks girlies!!!!!  You’re the bestSmile

aly7
elite
3 years, 2 months ago

Hey kellabella I just wanted to say that exfoliating ever other day may irratate your skin after a while. I  exfoliate 2 times a week [tues and fri]. and also the Palmers Cocoa Butter actually has vit e in it so you dont have to mix in more, but you could for added moisture:)

Smile

Junebug505
insider
3 years, 4 months ago

I would suggest a moisturizer at night and in the morning, try using a sponge to apply foundation, you can also try mineral foundation.

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 3 months ago

I viewed your profile, and I saw you're only 28 years old!  Sorry! Foot in mouth Cell turnover wouldn't be as much of a problem, then.  LOL  I haven't been looking at profiles recently since most of the time they are blank.  But in this case, I thought I should go check.

I use foundation all over my face because most of it NEEDS it.  So I think I look better being consistent and using it all over; I have uneven skin tone as well as other flaws like spots or lines.  In areas where I feel I need additional coverage, I use concealer on just THOSE areas.Wink

sweetsour1981
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
Dry Flaky Skin?!

I had the same problem for years, and I just couldn't figure it out... how can millions of girls and women wear the same foundation as i do, and it look perfect on them and look awful on me!!!

Well, the first step is lighting.  You have to have good lighting.  Second, you have to have the correct color for your skin.  And third, make sure your foundation isn't past its experation date.

Now, your ready to go.  Start with a clean face. 

This next step is the critical one.  Find your mosturizer.  Mine is  OLAY Complete "Normal" with SPF 15. $6.50 for 2oz.  ( Well worth it )    Once you find your mosterizer, USE IT.  Don't be afraid to experiment with it, bc you have to find that happy medium where your skin is mosturized, but not to much so your face doesn't look oily.

Finally, find your foundation.  Again, sometimes you have to experiment. ( I know this is kinda hard bc of the cost of some make-up, but it will be worth it )  My foundation, which I would highly recommend, is  Maybelline, Dream Matte Mousse foundation & Dream Matte Powder.  Amazing..

smarie824
3 years, 3 months ago
Using the right products!

It is extremely important to hydrate your skin before applying makeup. With dry skin you should always use a cream foundation. In the dry area's dont apply the makeup as heavily and if your find that your still getting dry spots on your face apply vasaline which will create an eclusive seal over the skin and help push the moisture deeper into your skin. Apply your nightly lotion under the vasaline. Hope this helps you out! :)

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
Forgot to spell out the name of foundation

The complete name of the foundation I was referring to is Cover Girl TruBlend Whipped Foundation.Foot in mouth

flyawayb3auty
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
step by step

I have the same problem and unfortunatly there is no one way to solve it. It takes a combination of special make-up that does not dry the skin, and a good skin prep to get rid of the cakey, flakey look. Most liquids make-ups have oils in them to help them glide on smoothly. If you have dry skin I would not recommend using a powder or a liquid, try a mousse foundation. This is a good one in my opinion.  http://www.maybelline.com/Product/Face/Foundation/dream-matte-mousse-makeup.htm

Prior to applying that I would get a good lotion and apply a very light layer of it all over. A small drop on your index finger should be all you need. Then let it dry! very important that it soaks in, or else its like you never did it. If you do this and still have a problem, I would follow by applying some primer after the lotion has soaked in. Rimmel has a great primer that is around $9 at CVS and matches any skin tone.

Hope this helps! : )

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend