Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Avoid fragrance in ALL skin care products?

Discussion

Avoid fragrance in ALL skin care products?

I keep hearing such bad things about fragrance in skin care products, particularly facial skin creams or lotions.  Does anyone avoid fragrance completely, in lotions for your arms and legs?  To me, it feels luxurious or like pampering to use scented lotions/creams on my arms, legs, and feet sometimes. 

I guess facial skin is more sensitive, so it seems that fragrance in a moisturizer is a bad thing.  But I read so many conflicting things; I've also heard it is okay to use products with fragrance on your face if you don't have any reactions to it.  Yet I hear it irritates the skin, even if you don't see or feel that irritation.Undecided

Also seems like if fragrance is in something, it's best if it's at the end of the ingredient list so you know it contains little.  Just wondered what everyone out there does about this.

To be on the safe side, I have stopped using facial products (even cleansers) with fragrance in them even though they don't seem to bother my skin.  But I don't think I could give up using those scented lotions, especially from Bath and Body Works!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

4 Replies

pynkNymphette
allstar
3 years, 4 months ago
Re: Avoid fragrance in ALL skin care products?

I think fragrance is acceptable for your body. I would be way less likely to remember my daily lotion if I didn't get a sweet aroma with my rub down! But to be on the safe side I try to use natural oils instead of bottled lotions. I even have my own essential oils to add so I can create my favorite scents. This is also good for making sure my mositurizer does effect my perfume. I have noticed when things are labeled "parfum" in particular that those sometimes make my face itchy. Otherwise my skin on both face & body can take a little fragrance every now and then.

aly7
elite
3 years, 1 month ago
Darn Allergies!!!

My mom has always been allergic to perfumes, lucky for me I am not:) But, my skin can still be sensitive. For example, I can not use Any shaving cream or gel except Pure Silk by Gillette. I find it okay to use scents on your face if you are not allergic to them . Natural scents are also great:) I think it is okay to use scented body lotion as long as it is not TOO strong!

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 4 months ago
Re: Avoid fragrance in ALL skin care products?

I tend to favor fragrances that come from essential oils as well. My two favorites are lavender and rose. I just love the way I smell after I use them and I like that they are natural/plant based too.

sweetsour1981
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
RE: avoiding fragrances?!

Absolutely!!! i watch out for fragrances in almost everything i use.... I don't worry too much about shampoos & conditioners or any other hair care products.  But, I DO steer clear from smelly lotions. I can only use smell goods on my arms & hands.  I can't go anywhere near my legs if i have shaved within the last 2 days.  I found this out when i was about 14.  I ended up in ny doctors office, bc my legs felt like they were on fire...well, now i know whyWink    I also have to stay away from ANY kind of shaving cream, so i use a not fragrance shampoo & conditioner in one. (totally works!!)

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend