Home » Community » Message Boards » » What type of cleanser/make-up remover do you use? Which do you use first?

Discussion

What type of cleanser/make-up remover do you use? Which do you use first?

Do you use make-up remover first, then use cleanser to get anything the remover missed?  Or the other way around, using the cleanser first then the remover to get any residue left?  This may depend on the type of makeup you use, like I know waterproof formulas are hard to remove.

I use Neutrogena's makeup remover towelettes that work well even on hard to remove eye makeup.  But the cleanser I use--Olay's Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin works well as a makeup remover, as well as cleanser.  This way, if I run out of the towelettes, the cleanser alone is sufficient.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

9 Replies

JanieTB
insider
3 years, 4 months ago
What type of cleanser/make-up remover do you use?

I used Neutrogena Eye Makeup Remover for YEARS, which actually worked really well.
neutrogena_remover.jpg

But then I discovered Kiehl's Supremely Gentle Eye Makeup Remover, $16.50, which works even better!
kiehls remover.jpg

Once I remove my eye makeup, I cleanse with Neutrogena Oil-Free Makeup Removing Cleanser.
neutrogena cleanser.jpg

Needless to say, I don't have ANY makeup residue left after I'm done ;)

DevranM
insider
3 years, 4 months ago
Re: What type of cleanser/make-up remover do you use? Which do you use first?

Normally I will use eye makeup remover cloths like the CVS Cleansing & Make-Up Remover Towelettes (they're cheap and work pretty well for removing light makeup) and then I will wash my face with a cleanser.

I've found that if I am wearing heavy eye makeup from a night out or A LOT of mascara, the toweletes don't normally do the trick. For this issue, I recommend putting a little bit of vaseline on a cotton swab and rubbing it on your eyes to remove excess makeup. (You can also do this if you find yourself without any type of makeup remove and NEED to get it off!) Another one of my favorite makeup removers is the Lancome Bi-Facil Double Action Eye Makeup Remover. Sounds intense - I know, but trust me IT WORKS! I believe it's about $26 from Macys/Bloomingdales. 

Lancomebifacil.jpg

tara_lynnmarie
3 years, 4 months ago

This is my favorite makeup remover for eyes and lips. It never irritates my skin and it's easy to use. That's the first step- removing eye and lip makeup.

CLINIQUE EYE AND LIP MAKEUP REMOVER.jpg

Then I use this cleansing milk to remove the face makup.

CLINIQUE TAKE THE DAY OFF CLEANSING MILK.jpg

Finally, I wash my face wit this liquid facial soap. You always want to take your makup off first, and then wash your face. I hope that helped :)

CLINIQUE CLEANSER.jpg

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the tips and pictures. Smile I've discovered that cheap, old-fashioned baby oil works reallly well for really hard to remove waterproof or "all day wear" types of products, like waterproof mascara ,or all day lipcolors that really last but are hard to remove!  Since the baby oil is greasy, I do wash off that residue with a cleanser.

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 4 months ago

I highly recommend Jojoba oil to remove my make up at night, then I just a foamy gel cleanser.  I'm a big fan of the brand Desert Essence (for both the jojoba oil and the foamy cleanser).  I pick them up both at Trader Joe's.

JadaMiranda
insider
3 years, 4 months ago

I use Omorovicza Thermal Cleansing Balm.  Removes anything you have on, including waterproof mascara.  You just wipe it with warm cloth and you're done.

aly7
elite
3 years, 4 months ago
re makeup/cleanser

i love maybelline new york expert eyes makeup remover. then i use netrogena pink grapefruit face wash, and then if i have any zits i willl use clean and clear advantage mark treatment.

KasadiaIsBeauty
insider
3 years, 4 months ago
Cleanser and Makeup Remover

On days I take a shower I use a Clean and Clear cleanser first in the shower, i'm not sure what the name is but its minty. Tongue out  Then I'll use makeup remover for any eye makeup and under eye concealer.  After that I rinse my face. 

On days I dont take a shower I remove my eye makeup and under eye concealer with makeup remover and take my face makeup off with an astringent from Mario Badescu.  Then sometimes i'll use the Clean and Clear cleanser after but most of the time i'll just rinse my face.

ladyboarder9669
elite
3 years, 3 months ago
I love dr brandts foaming cleanser. I use my mary kay eye makeup remover first then cleanse.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend