Home » Community » Message Boards » Skin Central » Has retinol worked for anyone? Day or night use the best?

Discussion

Has retinol worked for anyone? Day or night use the best?

I was wondering if anyone uses a product with retinol, and how has it worked for you.  I've been using Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream-Night for about 4 months now, and I DO see a big improvement in the lines on my forehead.  It hasn't made much of a difference around the fine lines by my eyes, and I thought the eyes were more likely to show results since they are much finer.  But the deeper wrinkles on my forehead are less prominent.

I've found that I can't use this nightly, as it makes my skin flake too much.  So I use it every other night, alternating with Rite Aid's Vit E Cream (which was recommended from TB on the old TB site! "Inexpensive but effective".)

I have heard conflicting things about using retinol during the day.  I thought as long as the product contains retinol, it is helping your skin--day or night.  But I read in Allure that retinol breaks down in the sun, even if the product contains sunscreen!  There's a foundation I like (also by Neutrogena) called Healthy Skin Enhancer, and it has retinol & sunscreen.  It got rave reviews by Paula Begoun, the "Cosmetics Cop", but she didn't say anything about retinol breaking down in the sun.  She only says it should be in a opaque bottle or tube since it's "light sensitive."  Sunlight or any light?  I wish they'd elaborate on that!  She likes the HS Enhancer because it has plenty of anti-oxidants and more than just a tiny bit of retinol.  Sounded like a good thing then.

I guess it won't hurt my skin, but why put it in day product if it will break down anyway?  And is using both a day & night product with retinol "overkill"?

Does anyone else get overwhelmed by the info overload out there?  I read or hear different things whether it's from Allure, TB, drugstore.com, Oprah, Dr. Oz, etc.  You know...you're supposed to use anti-oxidants, exfoliate...and some anti-oxidants are better than others!Laughing

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

Kristen_TBeditor
insider
3 years, 4 months ago
Retinol has definitely worked for me!

Though I do admit all of the information out there can be overwhelming. I only use it at night and only use prescription forms, but it definitely helps keep my skin cells turning over, which helps rid my skin of wrinkles and acne (one of the main reasons why I use it). And, I use it only at night because it does make your skin more sun sensitive and every derm I've ever spoken to recommends that -- likely due to the fact that your skin is working to repair itself at night and the retinol plays a part in that. I have heard that it can be less effective when exposed to sunlight, though it's shocking to me then that any of these companies would waste their time and money to add it to daytime products for that reason. So, I think the jury is still out on that. If your skin isn't red and irritated I don't think using it day and night hurts anything -- especially if we learn that it is less effective during the day. If you are getting irritation though, I would stop the daytime use and stick with nighttime. Bottom line though, retinol or retinoids are scientifically proven to be effective anti-aging ingredients, and that is a statement that can't be said about many other ingredients on the market, so it's definitely worth using.

JadaMiranda
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
Re: Has retinol worked for anyone? Day or night use the best?

Haven't used any products with retinol yet.  However, most of the people I know use it at night.  They swear that it works best at night.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend