Home » Community » Message Boards » » best advice i was ever given...

Discussion

best advice i was ever given...

many years ago my dermatologist gave me the advice to cut back or completely eliminate caffiene.  I had struggled with bad skin for years prior to this advice.  I especially cut back during the days leading up to my cycle which sounds weird but it has been such great advice and really has worked for me for over 20 years.  of course we have to remember our regular skin care regimes and moisturize even if we have oily skin but if nothing else is working for you, try the caffiene thing, it cant hurt!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

9 Replies

JanieTB
insider
3 years, 5 months ago
Re: best advice i was ever given...

Great advice. Definitely something I need to take in consideration. Caffeine AND sugar. It's so hard to do, though!

DevranM
insider
3 years, 5 months ago

What about diet? (well besides caffeine intake). Fatty foods? oily foods? Foods that are good for your skin? I try to eat a lot of veggies for vitamins, but was just wondering if anyone has some specific food do's or don'ts when it comes to preventing breakouts and oily skin?

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 5 months ago

I read in my Perscription for Natural Healing book that taking fish oil and oil of evening primrose supplements help with anti-aging. Do I do it though...no.  I dont' like taking pills. The healthy habits I try to follow diligently are drinking lots of water and keeping processed foods out of my diet. 

ladyboarder9669
elite
3 years, 3 months ago
Great tip!

scarrillo
insider
3 years, 3 months ago

Cutting back on sugar can definitely help your skin, I forget the exact science but I know it's bad for skin cells (such a shame!). Having an overall healthy diet will help though, Annet King (head of the International Dermal Institute) says that your skin is the largest organ on your body and so it reflects what you put in it. Makes sense :)

LipstickNYC
3 years, 3 months ago
Drink water!

Drinking water in place of sugary juices can make you feel better and improve how your skin looks. It's one piece of beauty advice that I have never forogtten.

Kristen_TBeditor
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
Best advice I've been given ...

Eliminate foods that are hard to digest to help clear up acne -- first on my list -- dairy. Though I haven't been off it for very long, I do think my skin is happier without it. We'll see how it continues to go.

Another tip ... never sleep with makeup on. It should be the first step you take in the fight against aging. That and SPF -- you can't get enough of the stuff.

*Gemigirl -- great point above about the caffeine -- gotta get on that wagon. Someday ...

pynkNymphette
allstar
3 years, 3 months ago

If you do not like pills just try to eat some more fish. I love any excuse to chow down on sushi, personally. Cutting back on sugar was the best thing I ever did. Not only does my skin look better but I also FEEL better. The best advice I can give ANYONE is to just stop drinking soda. Any kind of soda is just awful for you, reguardless if it is sugar free or "diet".

JennaGuru
insider
3 years, 2 months ago
I take fish oil supplements

You can pick them up at your local Limberg Nutritian. You have to make sure there pure though, lots of fish oil supplements can harbor bad chemicals and toxins, like mercury. Not only is fish oil good for your skin, it help your nails and hair grow stronger, helps blood flow, and is just a very good way to stay healthy! But I recommend starting with the lowest dosage, and working your way up. If you styart right off with a pretty high/meduim dosage your body could possibly not be used to that kind of vitamin intake (My body was, I was taking 2 pills a day and cut it down to 1) I got really bad stomache aches when i first started taking them because my body wasnt used ot them. Now im totally used to them. Theres also fish oil liquid, but who wants to drink that? Nasty in my opinion...

Jenna

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend