Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Coordinating Lip and Eye Makeup

Discussion

Coordinating Lip and Eye Makeup

I was feeling very "fall" this morning, so I decided to pull out my squash-colored turtleneck. As I sat down to do my makeup, I was inspired to coordinate my makeup with my outfit, plus I got some samples from Mally Roncal (a celeb makeup artist that I interviewed this week) that I was looking forward to trying out. First, I used her Forever Silk Liquid Eyeshadow in Champagne, $25, which is kinda like a shimmering peachy, bronze color. 

eyes_ForeverSilkyShadows_Champagne_detail.jpg

Next, I sat there for a moment at my vanity looking in the mirror (sounds vain, I know) and pondered what lip color would work. Then I decided that a monochromatic makeup look might work. So I tried Mally's Evercolor Lasting Lip Color & Gloss in Summer Nude, $25, which is a darker peach color and clear gloss combo (ironic about the shade name, I know, but it works and still looks "fall" nonetheless.)

lips_EvercolorLipcolor_PerfectRosev02_detail.jpg

While doing my makeup I got to thinking about coordinating eye and lip makeup. I know that there are some "rules" such as, if you're going for a bold lip, then don't do a bold eye. But can these rules be broken? And what works for one gal might not look good on the next. For example, I'm fair, blonde and have light eyes, so who knows if this peach eye/lip combo will work on someone with a different complexion. What do you think?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 5 months ago
Love the look.

I guess I have an advantage because I actually saw your outfit, but I loved it and it was totally fall. I've been sticking with greys, plaids, navies and of course red lips.  As you know we love red lips for fall at TB. 

JanieTB
insider
3 years, 5 months ago
Re: Coordinating Lip and Eye Makeup

I think this works if you stick with subtle shades (ie: nude lips with gold shadow), but not when you're trying to coordinate a smoky eye with dark, vampy lips. It just looks too goth, which only works if you're going for that look. But I think you can go with a bold, smoky eye if you do a bold, bright red lip instead of something bold and dark. Does that make sense? :)

molly_roemer
3 years, 5 months ago
Re: Coordinating Lip and Eye Makeup

Thanks, Tracy :) Oh, and Jane, what you said makes sense. 

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 3 months ago
Rule of thumb?

I always thought the "rule of thumb" was to play up either the eyes OR lips, not both.

aly7
elite
3 years, 3 months ago
re Coordinating Lip and Eye Makeup

i think these rules can sometimes be broken because i did a light smoky eye and bold pink lips and it looked fine. molly, i think you are safe

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend