Home » Community » Message Boards » Everything Makeup » Splurge vs. Steal

Discussion

Splurge vs. Steal

Are there any "cheapie" products or tools that you always choose over the more pricey version? As for me, I tried using the Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler ($19), but it just wasn't working for me. Then I switched to the E.L.F. Cosmetics Eyelash Curler ($1!) and it totally rocked my lashes. It worked SO much better, and I love how much cheaper it is.

I'd love to know -- any bargains that you've run across while buying makeup??

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 6 months ago
Re: Splurge vs. Steal

I love a brand called "Yes to Carrots". It's a paraben free body and face care line that is very affordable and available at drugstores like CVS.  I love the body butter (9.99).  It's not super cheap, but for more natural stuff it is a deal. 

Yes to Carrots Body Butter

jeanette_pena
3 years, 5 months ago
Re: Splurge vs. Steal / Sculpting Creams

Oh Yes, pricey doesn't always mean better.

I like to take care of my skin and at 37 I noticed that a bit of sculpting/plumping was needed. So I tried the Instant Facial Sculpting Cream from StriVectin which cost me around $80 and it's results where disappointing. So after doing a bit of research I decided to try, Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. I instantly saw a difference but after a week my skin looked like it did 15 years ago. I am not kidding! And That for $20  :-O   WOW!!!  Olay makes my skin dewy and plump with some lifting,  VS StriVectrin made my skin sticky and just moisturized without plumping or lifting. 

That saves me $60 and my skin looks and feels fabulous :D 

scarrillo
insider
3 years, 5 months ago

I love the "Yes to" line too! My fave is the Yes to Cucumbers Eye Gel, it's amazing at getting rid of puffy eyes, which I deal with on a daily basis, sigh ... I also tend to use drugstore shampoos and conditioners, I love Pantene (although I miss the old scent) and Head and Shoulders. I like high-end shampoos too but I can rarely tell the difference with my hair, the only real reason to get one is for the scent (can you tell I have a thing for yummy smelling hair products?).

BeautyAide
3 years, 4 months ago

I recently splurged on NARS foundation.  While I am usually a drugstore makeup turned Bare Escentuals girl I thought why not go for the big money.  I mean I will wear this stuff every day and this is my skin we are talking about so might as well get something that will be worth it.  i am definitely a big fan.

As far as the saves, I love Mabelline Falsies mascara and their eyeliner.  Much better than the other products I have tried.  Plus it is even better when there is a buy one, get one free deal!

@jeanett_pena - Sorry to hear about your disappointing results with StriVectin.  I actually do some work with them, and use their products and have had nice results firming up my skin.  Do you know if you were using the new or old formula?

I am definitely loving what it is doing to my skin and definitely think it is a worth splurge.  If you wanted to try it again, but without shelling out the cost there are ways to win a free sample: check out strivectin.com/vips sweeps.  Become a VIP and you get a chance at a free sample product.  It is worth a shot.

msbrown822
allstar
2 years, 11 months ago
Splurge vs. Steal

Sometimes I slpurge, sometimes I'm a cheapie. I've noticed that over the years (after spending probably hundreds and hundreds of dollars) that a cleanser is a cleanser is a cleanser. I've spent $30+ for Kinerase, Cosmedicine, Dr. Brandt., PCA Skin, Clinique etc, and have found that Palmer's Skin Success Even complextion soap that you can get from drugstore.com for $2.99 works the best. It is actually diminishing the post-acne scars that I have, and not just claiming to like some others- and I only use it once a day!

Some makeup products I do splurge on, I love MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation ($30), and I like their eyeshadows, ($15) also becuase they are very pigmented and last all day. My drugstore make up would be CoverGirl Queen Collection liquid makeup ($8) and the L'Oreal H.I.P eyeshadows ($8). I also love Ponds Cold cream ($6), its a great makeup remover, even though some don't like it. And I always, always, always buy drugstore mascara. I've learned (through trial and error) not to spend more than $9 on mascara, because I always get same results not matter what the price is.

LipglossandSpandex
BLOGGER
2 years, 10 months ago
Splurge vs. Steal

Splurge:

MAC ProLongwear foundation and MAC Blot powder. It was worth the extra money to get color matched, and they're some of the best products I've tried.

Steal:

Clean & Clear makeup removing wipes + Dial bar soap. This combo beats all sorts of expensive skin care systems! It gets all my makeup off and keeps my acne manageable.

EcoTools makeup brushes and ELF studio line makeup brushes. So many amazing brushes, at such low prices!

Physicians Formula Gel Creamliners. Just as good as MAC Fluidlines and Stila Smudgepots!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend