Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Soft/Hard water

Discussion

Soft/Hard water

Does anyone have any tips for us ladies who have super soft water? I recently moved, and I used to have hard water, and my hair was quite frizzy and dry. Now I'm in a place with soft water and my hair is very greasy and it never feels clean! But I still have dry frizzy ends (yay me!) Any suggestions? Thanks so much! Tongue out

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

2 Replies

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 6 months ago
Tips for soft water

So I did a little online research (thanks Google) and found a few interesting articles, but this one from About.com seemed the most legit. It seems that in soft water the reason that your hair might feel greasy is the chemistry behind soft water (ions/minerals etc) make it harder to rinse things like soap and shampoo off compared to hard water.  The best advice I took from this was to just try using less soap, shampoo etc  and see if that make a difference for you.  Good luck and let me know how it goes. 

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/a/softwaterrinse.htm

Supernaturalfan
insider
3 years, 4 months ago
Re: Soft/Hard water

I thought it was the LACK of minerals in soft water that make it hard to rinse shampoo out?  Anyway, the water is really hard where I live, but I once went to a place on vacation with soft water.  It seemed like I was going to rinse my hair FOREVER!  It felt slick & greasy!

Only thing I can think of is what Tracy said, to use less shampoo.  OR, there might actually be products out there specifically for soft water?  They seem to make stuff for everything these days.

When I was a kid, my mom used to wash my hair in the sink, and she'd put a little white vinegar in the rinse water for the final rinse.  She said it was to get all the shampoo residue out for a clean rinse.  It wasn't enough for me to smell like a salad!  LOL  But it might work for soft water too; I don't know.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend