Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Hair Loss!

Discussion

Hair Loss!

I am a woman! I shouldn't be experiencing this! I have no idea what to do to help stop my thinning hair! I have run into so many women lately experiencing the same thing. Could it be the pollutants in the air? Yes, my mom is suffering from the same thing but we started thinning out about 5 years ago. If it's genetic, shouldn't I start thinning out in my 40s and not my 20s? Any advice is appreciated!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

16 Replies

heidindg
allstar
3 years, 6 months ago
Alopecia

You probably have Androgenic (sp?) Alopecia. It can be genetic and causes women to lose their hair for no particular reason and can strike at any age. The unfortunate thing is, there is nothing out there to cure it. I would go to the doctor to make sure it's that and not some type of symptom of another issue. It's actually reasonably common. Some thin, some bald it just depends on it's severity and on the person.

prettyfaye
3 years, 6 months ago
Vitamins!

Take your vitamins!  It could be the lack of iron and zinc in the body.  So absolutely look into checking your thyroid, the lack of energy and your diet.

TracyTB
allstar
3 years, 6 months ago
Alopecia

I had a friend who was diagnosed with Alopecia and she started putting coconut oil on her head (it's an Indian remedy and her family is Indian). It worked for her, the hair loss stopped.  Good luck!

SusanPowers
3 years, 6 months ago
Nutrition?

I had my tonsils removed once and I wasn't able to eat anything but Jello.  Not having the right nutrients made my hair very limp and fall out.  I started to drink Ensure and it made a difference. How is your diet?

misscrystal
3 years, 6 months ago
Re: Hair Loss!

Thanks for the info, ladies! Alopecia scares me to death! I went to the doctor and I guess since I didn't have PPO, she pretty much just shrugged it off. My nutrition isnt the best but it is better. I began taking a multivitamin and also a prenatal pill but then was told that prenatal pills make you gain weight so, that stopped lol. I have tried Nioxin shampoo and conditioner and it has helped a bit (less hair on my brush) but I'm just hoping that maybe, just maybe there is a solution somewhere out there.

annatotalbeauty
insider
3 years, 6 months ago

Hey Crystal, I am only 25 and I have experienced hair loss as well. Basically, man oh man do I feel your pain. It started after I lost a significant amount of weight. I went to see a derm about the problem and she told me I had Female Pattern Baldness! I'm sure you can imagine how THAT fun little diagnosis made me feel. But I stopped dieting, I noticed some fuzz of hair starting to come back. I now have a lot more hair than I did then, but not as much as I once had in my teens. I would definitely suggest taking iron supplements as well as fish oils (that's what I do). Also make sure you are getting enough calcium. Rogaine for women also apparently works too, but truth be told, I'm too embarrassed to buy it at the drugstore. So silly.

Beth_totalbeauty
3 years, 5 months ago
Good story on product for thinning hair

Hey Crystal

Our men's grooming site has a really good rundown of some of the products... See below

http://www.modernman.com/prevent-hair-loss-before-its-too-late/

drrenuka
3 years, 5 months ago
Diet for healthy hair :)

*Coconut is highly revered in ayurveda for its ability to nourish the hair and scalp. It balances the pitta dosha and thereby treats premature falling of hair and graying. Coconut consumed in all its forms is beneficial for health of the hair.

*Ayurveda recommends milk, fresh cottage cheese and lassi (a drink made by blending fresh yogurt and water) for proper health of hair. Also, whole grains and legumes provide nourishment to your hair without putting muchpressure your digestive system. One can also combine grains, beans, vegetables, herbs & spices and prepare hair healthy nutrients rich meals.

I have read these hair care tips from this link juts check it out:  http://www.haircareproductsinfo.com/diet-for-healthy-hair.html

drew
2 years, 1 month ago

I thought the same think about prenatal vitamins but have been told that the iron in them can be too much for a non-pregnant woman, so probably not the best idea. However, there are hair, skin, and nail vitamins that are supposed to help with the health of all three, you might try those. But I would definitely make sure that you're getting all of the nutrients you need in your diet. If you feel like your diet could be better, you probably need supplements. There are a lot of multivitamins out there that can help you get back on track with what you body needs. Maybe consult a nutritionist? My hair has thinned a great deal since i turned 18 (25 now) and the only thing that has slowed down the amount of hair that comes out in the shower is what I wash it with and how. I've switched to Tea Tree Oil Shampoos (I've been having a flaking problem that H&S couldn't fix) and it worked for both what I needed and the falling out problem. Also, when I was my hair I make sure to massage my scalp with my finger tips kind of like those scalp spider-looking massager things, to increase the circulation. I used to do yoga a lot too and my yogi said that head stands rush all of the blood to your head and can 1) be a great energizer, better than coffee sometimes, and 2) I imagine all that blood flow would help stimulate things...but that's just a old wives type of idea. Wish you the best!

jill_wieser
insider
2 years, 1 month ago

I beleive that female hair loss can be triggered by a number of different things, including thyroid problems, polycystic ovary symdrome, or could even be cause by your birth control pill (if you use the pill). I think cases like that are somewhat rare, but it doesn't hurt to see a doctor just in case. Also, check out WebMd on this topic...I remember reading a very informative article on their site about female hair loss causes, as well as different treatment options that are available.

hope this helped!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend