Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask a Beauty Blogger » Are Chanel & Dior worth it?

Discussion

Helmi
allstar
2 months ago
Are Chanel & Dior worth it?

I admit I've been intrigued by the design, browsed the websites and watched reviews by the gals on Youtube.  But I still wonder, are Chanel and Dior cosmetics really worth the price?  I can hardly imagine paying $60 + for a 5-shadow palette.  Urban Decay's line is very affordable by comparison

(The skincare could also be included in this question. Is there anything exceptional?)

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

jenn8779
allstar
1 month ago
Re: Are Chanel & Dior worth it?

Having worked at dept store, high-end makeup counters, I can say that some products are actually worth their prices and some are not. The Dior 5 pan eyeshadows are worth their price (the Chanel shadows are nice, but I prefer Dior). If you've noticed the differences between the quality of the Urban Decay shadows vs say Cover Girl, you would notice the same difference with the Dior vs basically anyone's shadows. LOL What I recommend to everyone when it comes to shelling out the money for high end products is to by your favorite, "I wear this shade ALL the time...." shades. The Dior shadows are VERY highly pigmented (so are the Chanel shadows), a little goes a LONG way and you will have the products for a long time. If you think about it, too, MAC single shadows are like $15 each, if you bought 5 you'd be spending $75, so $60 for a 5 pan pallette is actually cheaper. I have also found Dior's lipsticks and Chanel's lipsticks to be very high quality. They are more pigmented, more moisturizing and wear longer than most of the less expensive lipsticks. The one issue I do have with many of the high-end lines is their foundations, with the exceptions of companies like Prescriptives and Lancome because they offer larger ranges of shades in different undertones. I have yet to find a Chanel or Dior (or many other brands) foundation shade that is light enough, and neutral enough, for my uber pale, very neutral skin. This is a common issue for anyone with a skin tone outside the "most common, medium, warm toned" complexions. So, all of that being said, spend your money on high quality, high pigment products (brand not specific- try them and/or do your research) in shades that are your daily "go to" shades and save money on trendy shades or products like mascaras which need to be replaced often. I also recommend to "save" on cleansers (these get washed off and go down the drain) and to "splurge" on serums/cream/oils that you apply to your face.

jenn8779
allstar
1 month ago
Re: Are Chanel & Dior worth it?

Oh, and on the skin care products, I have tried so many highly priced creams, lotions and serums. In all honesty, the product that has done the most for my 45 yr old, sensitive, combination skin has been the Boots Botanics Organic facial oil that I get at target for $8.99, no lie! LOL I am pretty sure I have reviewed it on TB. After only a very short time of use, this product made my skin glow like I haven't seen since my early 20's. It has also balanced out my skin, which now seems more "normal" (this is the 1st time in my life I can say this! LOL), I no longer have many acne breakouts, makeup goes on smoother and looks better and my sensitivity issues are substantially reduced. Oh, and the compliments I get! That's how I know this one is a winner! LOL

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend