Home » Community » Message Boards » Total Beauty Member Central » Makeup for Beginners?

Discussion

aquolina
5 months, 3 weeks ago
Makeup for Beginners?

I've never worn makeup before. Since Christmas is on the way, I'm making a wish-list full of primarily makeup. I know close to nothing about makeup. Can anyone recommend me a list of must-have products? (:

About me: 
• I'm 17 years old
• I have combination, mild acne-prone skin
• I think my skin tone is medium warm (my skin color is like Cassie Ventura's) 
• I'd like to go for a simple, natural, feminine, everyday look that covers up my uneven skin tone. 

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

7 Replies

MiszSt3phC
5 months, 2 weeks ago
Re: Makeup for Beginners?

Christmas is the perfect time to ask for makeup. Good call! I am 24 and I am a makeup artist in New Jersey. My suggestion to you would be make sure you have a good cleansing treatment for your face. Clean skin: Wash with a cleanser in the morning Use a toner Then a moisturizer with SPF Before bed wash face Put on night cream or acne treatment Make up basics: Foundation-I recommended spending a decent amount of money on good quality foundation. Since you have never worn makeup before, go to Sephora and have them match your skin tone to certain foundations that they have in the store. They have all types of brands. If you are someone who will forget to take your foundation off, I recommend a powder foundation from bare minerals. It is mineral based and good for your skin. I use bare minerals powder foundation and I also use Nars liquid foundation depending on the event. Concealer- if you have some pimples or blemishes that your foundation doesn't cover, just buy a concealer that is close to your skin color. This is applied on top of your foundation only on the areas needed. I use neutrogena concealer because it is medicated. I bought mine at cvs. Lipstick/lip gloss/mascara/blush/bronzer/eyeliner/eyeshadow- all of these you can buy at a drugstore (cvs, target...) since you are just starting out. There is a brand called ELF (eyes lips face). They have a website and a lot of there stuff is cheap in price ranging from $0.99 to 3.00. They have everything you could need even makeup brushes and makeup remover pads. I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions about specific items please feel free to contact me. GOOD LUCK!

GigiSD
elite
5 months, 2 weeks ago
Re: Re: Makeup for Beginners?
MiszSt3phC posted:

Christmas is the perfect time to ask for makeup. Good call! I am 24 and I am a makeup artist in New Jersey. My suggestion to you would be make sure you have a good cleansing treatment for your face. Clean skin: Wash with a cleanser in the morning Use a toner Then a moisturizer with SPF Before bed wash face Put on night cream or acne treatment Make up basics: Foundation-I recommended spending a decent amount of money on good quality foundation. Since you have never worn makeup before, go to Sephora and have them match your skin tone to certain foundations that they have in the store. They have all types of brands. If you are someone who will forget to take your foundation off, I recommend a powder foundation from bare minerals. It is mineral based and good for your skin. I use bare minerals powder foundation and I also use Nars liquid foundation depending on the event. Concealer- if you have some pimples or blemishes that your foundation doesn't cover, just buy a concealer that is close to your skin color. This is applied on top of your foundation only on the areas needed. I use neutrogena concealer because it is medicated. I bought mine at cvs. Lipstick/lip gloss/mascara/blush/bronzer/eyeliner/eyeshadow- all of these you can buy at a drugstore (cvs, target...) since you are just starting out. There is a brand called ELF (eyes lips face). They have a website and a lot of there stuff is cheap in price ranging from $0.99 to 3.00. They have everything you could need even makeup brushes and makeup remover pads. I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions about specific items please feel free to contact me. GOOD LUCK!

Nice advice!

Edwardmckee
5 months, 1 week ago

Makeup works greatly if your skin is already beautiful and glowing. I would suggest that use good quality skin care products first than use makeup for your skin and see the difference.

nicole_copp
4 months ago

Hey girl, I'm 19 years old so I remember those days very well where I experienced the same thing! Products ive used that I'd recommend for your skin type are: - Cover girl advanced foundation (squirt out bottle) - its oil free so its kind to your oily areas but also super hydrating for the dry areas.. gives a more balanced look and takes away shine - Any type of concealer that is a cream/stick and not a liquid (better for combo skin), a cover girl product might be a good idea cause itll be easy to blend with the foundation (concealer should be a shade lighter than the foundation) - Ask for a couple neutral lip sticks and glosses like soft pink, nude colors, since they look good for any occasion - Maybelline "the Rocket" mascara in black (royal blue container) is awesome and the brush isn't frustrating at all since it doesn't create clumps - Ask for a good sized eyeshadow pallet from the drugstore (I recommend E.L.F because theyre super affordable and have tonnes of colors on their pallets) but any one will work as long as there are neutral colors like beige, brown, black etc for everyday looks.. but a couple bright colors will be fun to experiment with :) - Optional: grabbing a small brush set will help add versatility to your products, ie: using brown eyeshadow and an angled eyeliner brush to shape your eyebrows That's pretty much it! Check out my brand new youtube beauty channel for future videos full of tips and tricks SWEETPIEDIY : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_Bcdw7c8zFLdxgq5qCHuQ/videos Cheers!

Nikatron
elite
3 months, 1 week ago
MiszSt3phC posted:

I so much agree that "ELF" is the way to go for a beginner! And don't forget that when you buy online, they often have 50% off sales and free shipping... You can get a ton of makeup and even if you don't end up loving all of it - I'm sure you could find someone who will gladly accept it as a gift, and at the same time you don't have to feel guilty for spending a fortune while choosing what works for you... ;)

GigiSD
elite
3 months, 1 week ago
Edwardmckee posted:

Makeup works greatly if your skin is already beautiful and glowing. I would suggest that use good quality skin care products first than use makeup for your skin and see the difference.

I agree wholeheartedly with Nikatron--ELF is great for beginners and works well for those who are makeup enthusiasts, too!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend