Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » Best way to figure out skin tone and color? Help

Discussion

magictheatre
insider
7 months, 1 week ago
Best way to figure out skin tone and color? Help

Since I'm brown skinned I find it very hard to exactly pin-point which category of skin tones I fall under - medium, olive, deep, dark? Also whats the best way to figure out what someone's undertones are - warm or cold? pink or blue or yellow? Really need help.

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

6 Replies

GigiSD
elite
7 months, 1 week ago
Re: Best way to figure out skin tone and color? Help

I think the best way to find whether your skin is medium, deep, or dark is to try foundations in these categories on a cleansed area of your jawbone in strong light, preferably daylight, in an Ulta, Sephora, or department store (try the samples and go outside). You want to match your skin EXACTLY. In terms of whether your undertone is "cool" or "warm," one easy test is to look at the veins in your wrist, once more in natural light. If they tend to be blue, you may be "cool" toned (even with brown skin). If they are more green, you could possibly be "warm" toned. Cool tones generally have an undertone of pink; if silver fabric makes you look amazing, this could be a key. You are also probably flattered by blue, blue-violet, eggplant, white, and shades of fuschia and rose. If you hold gold fabric up to your skin and find that more becoming, you most likely have a warm tone. Colors which flatter you are are copper, rusts, earthy greens. Perhaps your veins are mixed and you can wear any color well: Congratulations! You have a neutral undertone and can wear just about anything you like.

volta
elite
7 months ago
Re: Best way to figure out skin tone and color? Help

Go to Sephora. They have a device called Color IQ that is 100% accurate if used properly. They will tell you your depth and undertone.

GigiSD
elite
7 months ago
Re: Re: Best way to figure out skin tone and color? Help
volta posted:

Go to Sephora. They have a device called Color IQ that is 100% accurate if used properly. They will tell you your depth and undertone.

Cool, Volta--I didn't know that! Thanks!

magictheatre
insider
7 months ago
volta posted:

Thats pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

heusser87
insider
6 months, 3 weeks ago
volta posted:

Would love to have a Sephora where i live

GigiSD
elite
6 months, 3 weeks ago
Re: Re: Re: Best way to figure out skin tone and color? Help
heusser87 posted:

Would love to have a Sephora where i live

If you're not near a Sephora, use the method I described, please.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend