Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » HELP!!! Crazy skin issues!!! Scalp psoriasis and keratosis pilaris

Discussion

littlelaura
insider
8 months ago
HELP!!! Crazy skin issues!!! Scalp psoriasis and keratosis pilaris

Hey all! I am in dire need of guidance here. I have psoriasis on my scalp that sometimes turns bright pink/red and gets super itchy and flakey. It drives me insane! I have an rx ointment but it leaves my hair greasy as all get out and I have to shower at least every other day to keep it from getting worse and it's the only thing I know to do. Does anyone have some over the counter hair/scalp care recommendations that might keep this under control? The ointment keeps it from itching and getting irritated but doesn't help the flakes and its super embarrassing :( 

My next question is regarding keratosis pilaris (or I read its called chicken skin). I have heard of a few things to try but it doesn't get rid of all the dots and if I don't use the products very regularly they come back within almost 2 days. Anyone got some ideas for that as well?? I appreciate it. Both conditions are crazy embarrassing and I am in need of some experts here!!!! Thanks!!!

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

3 Replies

chantels
8 months ago
Re: HELP!!! Crazy skin issues!!! Scalp psoriasis and keratosis pilaris

as far as the scalp psoriasis goes. I would say maybe head and shoulders products? try products that are fragrance free. those types of products are more for sensitive skin. when your in the shower really apply the conditioner to the roots and massage. the keratosis pilaris, I would use a glycolic acid on in. you can find it in a lot of antiaging products. there is a brand at ulta called alpha hydrox. they have a cream that can be used on feet, use it on the skin that has the uneven teture. Hope I helped!

marie_sherman
8 months ago

Have you tried Coconut Oil? You can make a sugar scrub with Sugar, Coconut Oil and a few drops of any Essential Oil and it will work miracles on your KP. And you might want to try this for your hair and scalp: Hair Mask: 2 Tbs olive oil, 2 Tbs coconut oil, 2 Tbs almond oil, however many punctured vitamin E tablets as you want, and some lemon juice.

littlelaura
insider
7 months, 3 weeks ago

Thank you both! I tried everything you guys posted and it seems to be working a ton better with the exception of head and shoulders... my hair stylist ( whom I have seen since my first hair cut) said it strips your natural good oils. But my KP is gone in only a week and I am super happy!!! I wish I would have known this stuff at the start of summer because I would have worn a ton more shorts and skirts :( but again thank you both!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend