Home » Community » Message Boards » Hair Help » Ponytail damages?

Discussion

kitkatkaren23
8 months, 1 week ago
Ponytail damages?

I wear my hair in a ponytail a lot, and I was wondering if that does a lot of damage to your hair. I've heard somewhere that it does, but I don't understand if it would be more damage to wear it in a pony or put heat on it everyday? My natural hair is just out of the question. :P

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

8 Replies

GigiSD
elite
8 months, 1 week ago
Re: Ponytail damages?

As long as you're using heavily-covered (preferable fabric) rubber bands to keep your hair back, you should be fine. It's better than to heat it with dryers and curling devices, and it's easier to perform with hair away from your face. See my other answer to your question about hair care in general. You seem to already know a lot about protecting your tresses! (Your hair looks lovely; I understand why you want to protect it.)

kitkatkaren23
8 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Ponytail damages?
GigiSD posted:

As long as you're using heavily-covered (preferable fabric) rubber bands to keep your hair back, you should be fine. It's better than to heat it with dryers and curling devices, and it's easier to perform with hair away from your face. See my other answer to your question about hair care in general. You seem to already know a lot about protecting your tresses! (Your hair looks lovely; I understand why you want to protect it.)

Thank you so much. This really helped! :)

ginaaliyah
insider
7 months, 1 week ago
Re: Ponytail damages?

The only time I know my hair get's damaged in a ponytail is when it is to tight. When you pull your hair back be careful because I know when I do pull it sometimes snaps and breaks from the front of my hairline. Check you're ponytail holder when you you unravel it (never pull ;)) to see if there is any lose hair, then you will know if it is to tight. And of course as Gigi said the covered elastic or a scrunchie is the best. Also I think we all know don't sleep in a ponytail it breaks you're hair when you toss and turn! And you do have long lovely hair! I damaged mine from over coloring and had to cut it so now I'm in the growing it back process.

GigiSD
elite
7 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Ponytail damages?
ginaaliyah posted:

The only time I know my hair get's damaged in a ponytail is when it is to tight. When you pull your hair back be careful because I know when I do pull it sometimes snaps and breaks from the front of my hairline. Check you're ponytail holder when you you unravel it (never pull ;)) to see if there is any lose hair, then you will know if it is to tight. And of course as Gigi said the covered elastic or a scrunchie is the best. Also I think we all know don't sleep in a ponytail it breaks you're hair when you toss and turn! And you do have long lovely hair! I damaged mine from over coloring and had to cut it so now I'm in the growing it back process.

Great points!

lovemyshoes
insider
7 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Re: Ponytail damages?
kitkatkaren23 posted:

I have been told that it is good to change the position of your pony tail often to prevent breakage.

GigiSD
elite
7 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ponytail damages?
lovemyshoes posted:

I have been told that it is good to change the position of your pony tail often to prevent breakage.

Handy information--thank you!

JohnBrown
6 months, 2 weeks ago
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ponytail damages?
GigiSD posted:

Handy information--thank you!

You can change you hair style every day. Try up do`s by using hair pins. Ponies often cause hair fall

GigiSD
elite
7 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Re: Ponytail damages?
kitkatkaren23 posted:

You're welcome!!!

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend