Home » Community » Message Boards » Ask an Expert » How much Heat should I use on a daily basis?

Discussion

kitkatkaren23
8 months, 1 week ago
How much Heat should I use on a daily basis?

So I recently took a "no-heat diet" on my hair. I went the entire summer using nothing but a hair dryer on my hair. I noticed that it grew out a lot (kind of what I was going for) and it looked a lot healthier. Only now I'm afraid to use heat on my hair again, because I really don't want to damage it. I do use heat protectant on it. I will be going to a lot of performances for my Color Guard team that requires a lot of straightening and curling your hair. What would you recommend doing to it that would really help?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

GigiSD
elite
8 months, 1 week ago
Re: How much Heat should I use on a daily basis?

Not only are you pretty, but you're smart! The less heat applied to hair, the healthier it is (I was a lot older than you when I realize that). Make sure your heat protectant is strong; I like John Frieda's "Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Thermal Protection Formula." Never forget to use to after a shampoo. You don't need to shampoo every day; it simply damages the cuticle. Try to use a dry shampoo when possible. Congrats on being a color guard--I was one for my high school and a majorette in a summer adult band! Your hair takes a lot of trauma for performances. Whenever possible, allow your hair to air dry rather than use a dryer at all. When you DO use a dryer, make sure it is an ionic one which has a diffuser to cause less damage (it's slower than a regular dryer but makes a huge difference). Be sure to deep-condition hair weekly and take a potent multi-vitamin and a strong B Vitamin. It will keep you and your hair glowing from the inside out.

egelizabethgreen
8 months, 1 week ago
Re: How much Heat should I use on a daily basis?

thank you for the advice! Really..

kitkatkaren23
8 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: How much Heat should I use on a daily basis?
GigiSD posted:

Not only are you pretty, but you're smart! The less heat applied to hair, the healthier it is (I was a lot older than you when I realize that). Make sure your heat protectant is strong; I like John Frieda's "Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Thermal Protection Formula." Never forget to use to after a shampoo. You don't need to shampoo every day; it simply damages the cuticle. Try to use a dry shampoo when possible. Congrats on being a color guard--I was one for my high school and a majorette in a summer adult band! Your hair takes a lot of trauma for performances. Whenever possible, allow your hair to air dry rather than use a dryer at all. When you DO use a dryer, make sure it is an ionic one which has a diffuser to cause less damage (it's slower than a regular dryer but makes a huge difference). Be sure to deep-condition hair weekly and take a potent multi-vitamin and a strong B Vitamin. It will keep you and your hair glowing from the inside out.

Thank you :) I'm really glad I got your advice, especially knowing you we're in color guard as well. Lots of help!

GigiSD
elite
8 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Re: How much Heat should I use on a daily basis?
kitkatkaren23 posted:

Thank you :) I'm really glad I got your advice, especially knowing you we're in color guard as well. Lots of help!

You're very welcome. Every time I walk the track at my old high school, I want to cry because I still miss marching and doing routines! Have a great season and ask anything, anytime!

GigiSD
elite
8 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: How much Heat should I use on a daily basis?
egelizabethgreen posted:

thank you for the advice! Really..

You're so very welcome . . .

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend