Home » Community » Message Boards » All About Nails » Nail Paint Newbie

Discussion

Helmi
allstar
9 months ago
Nail Paint Newbie

I'm new to nail color and uncertain.  Is product separation normal, like peanut butter or salad dressing?  I've read warnings against buying make-up that is discolored or gritty for possible contamination.  Are there different guidelines for polish? 

Side questions:  Where do you keep your nail polish?  The dresser, a bathroom drawer, your bag, or do you have a whole case for the stuff?  What is the best way to store it?

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

5 Replies

GigiSD
elite
8 months, 1 week ago
Re: Nail Paint Newbie

Hello again, Helmi! I keep my polish separate simply because the smell is so very strong. It's under my bathroom sink in a container made to hold it which closes shut. It's in a cool place. Keeping polish in a cool place is helpful, as polish applies more easily than when it is heated. At times I'll even place it in the refrigerator to avoid "bubbles" when I apply, but keep it away from food for obvious reasons (you don't want salad to taste like acetone!).

kitkatkaren23
8 months, 1 week ago

I keep my nail polish in a 31 bag under my bathroom sink. I think it's easiest to keep it under there to avoid people getting into it that you don't want snooping through all your stuff. :) I know I'm not much help, but I figured you'd want at least one question answered!

Helmi
allstar
7 months, 2 weeks ago
Re: Re: Nail Paint Newbie
kitkatkaren23 posted:

I keep my nail polish in a 31 bag under my bathroom sink. I think it's easiest to keep it under there to avoid people getting into it that you don't want snooping through all your stuff. :) I know I'm not much help, but I figured you'd want at least one question answered!

I know I asked a lot. I appreciate any replies. Thanks!

darkangel81
allstar
7 months, 1 week ago

When nail polish starts to separate, it's a sign of it's age. You can use a nail polish thinner to help it out, but if it starts to become more discolored, or the formula gets too thick and stringy, it's time to toss. I keep my nail polish in a basket I got from Michaels, stored in a cubby hole. Keep yours in a cool dry place away from sunlight. They will last much longer. Hope this helps.

cheerio9551
insider
4 months ago

I've found that some nail polish colors tend to separate more than others. If you've had it a long time and it doesn't seem to be mixing after vigorous shaking, I'd throw it out. I don't think it's necessarily a sign that it's "gone bad". Nail polish is made of some pretty long-lasting chemicals. As far as storing nail polish, if you don't have a lot, I would suggest just buying a small plastic bin and putting it in your closet or underneath your sink. If you accumulate a lot of nail polish like I have, you can buy a modular drawer unit like the Helmer from Ikea (Michaels also sells something similar for less).

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend