Home » Community » Message Boards » Total Beauty Member Central » Please help me out - Need your suggestions for a gift

Discussion

Contact80
10 months, 2 weeks ago
Please help me out - Need your suggestions for a gift

Hi. My friend is graduating from cosmetology school in a month or so. I really want to get her a great graduation gift. Could be jewelry, could be anything. We've been together 2 years now, so not a brand new relationship. For her midterm, she scored really well (highest score her school had recorded). My gift to her was a nice salon chair for her, which she put in her basement for cutting hair for our friends (and me). I would like to get her something that is significant and relevant to hair styling. Any suggestions ? (Thanks)

Subscribe
Notifiy me with emails too

14 Replies

evet
allstar
10 months, 2 weeks ago
Re: Please help me out - Need your suggestions for a gift

That was an incredible and thoughtful gift, and at the moment I can only think of something to decorate her basement. How about a special and maybe vintage mirror/or something you find going to yard sales, etc. Some people will get rid of nice things when they move also. It can help with her personal use for the hair cutting.

GigiSD
elite
10 months, 2 weeks ago
Re: Re: Please help me out - Need your suggestions for a gift
evet posted:

That was an incredible and thoughtful gift, and at the moment I can only think of something to decorate her basement. How about a special and maybe vintage mirror/or something you find going to yard sales, etc. Some people will get rid of nice things when they move also. It can help with her personal use for the hair cutting.

GREAT suggestion!

Contact80
10 months, 1 week ago
evet posted:

Thank you, that's a great idea !

GigiSD
elite
10 months, 2 weeks ago

A salon chair was very gracious of you--it's hard to think of anything to top that! But I'll keep trying!

SAVmomma
10 months, 1 week ago

hmmm...the only thing I can think of is getting some supplies she usually use daily for her cosmetology careers. Some supplies can be scissor (shears), curling irons, straightener, nail polishes, hair dyes, etc.

CaroleVonAllten
elite
10 months, 1 week ago

What a wonderful gift of the salon chair. It's hard to top that, but what about some beautiful framed photos of women to hang in her basement salon. Or, what about a good camera and a simple studio lighting system that would enable her to take photos of her creations that she could hang on the walls. As a photographer, I have photographed many hair stylists' clients so they will have a portfolio. What a thrill to her friends to see a large photo of themselves in her salon. (Of course, she would have to ask for their permission first.) I suggest a good camera because a good digital camera like a Nikon or Canon with a portrait lens can produce enlargements such as 16 x 20 and bigger, which are stunning. Hope this helps. Carole VonAllten

GigiSD
elite
10 months, 1 week ago
CaroleVonAllten posted:

What a wonderful gift of the salon chair. It's hard to top that, but what about some beautiful framed photos of women to hang in her basement salon. Or, what about a good camera and a simple studio lighting system that would enable her to take photos of her creations that she could hang on the walls. As a photographer, I have photographed many hair stylists' clients so they will have a portfolio. What a thrill to her friends to see a large photo of themselves in her salon. (Of course, she would have to ask for their permission first.) I suggest a good camera because a good digital camera like a Nikon or Canon with a portrait lens can produce enlargements such as 16 x 20 and bigger, which are stunning. Hope this helps. Carole VonAllten

You've gotten wonderful suggestions. I think my favorite is a vintage mirror. Perhaps you can find a vintage vanity at a store which sells such items. She could store her items in the drawers (some are incredibly beautiful). And every time she looks at it, she'll think of you!

GigiSD
elite
10 months, 1 week ago
Re: Re: Re: Please help me out - Need your suggestions for a gift
Contact80 posted:

Thank you, that's a great idea !

I agree--what would be prettier or more memorable?

evet
allstar
10 months, 1 week ago

I luckily caught this the other day and please let us know what you find. It is interesting how you thought of these things and that they are so personal in the gift and yet so useful. I have one last suggestion, and that is going antique or for specially made hair items. They would be great for when she can put hair up, while she is doing the cosmetics or cutting hair/styling A lot of people have trouble doing the special styles that are swept up, or for weddings. I make my own hair clips, but the type that I find the clasps are all bad. Some of the fairs, or country areas have good stuff especially silver. I have something that I think was used for that. I can't think of what you call them, but you poke a stick through it. If not for personal use, they can go in a display case, and she can start a historical study-maybe a nice hobby.

Welcome to TotalBeauty.com!
Ready to unleash your inner beauty junkie? Enter your email and check the boxes below to get free samples, exclusive deals, discounts at Total Beauty Shops, and expert beauty tips delivered straight to your inbox!
Email to a friend