Do at home Bayalage
To do this at home and save $200 in a beauty salon:
1. You need a home highlighting kit like L'Oreal Perfect Blonde. plastic mixing bowl from a beauty supply store, thin rubber gloves (that come with the kit), old shirt, timer, and unused mascara wand (beauty supply store.)
2. Open highlight kit and follow directions for mixing, and place solution into mixing bowl.
3. Lift out a very small section of hair, and using the tip of the mascara wand, dip it into the bowl of color and apply dye to the bottom few inches or halfway up to the middle of the small section of hair. Keep dye away from chin line or roots. How far you go up depends on the length of your hair. Decide beforehand how obvious you want the highlights to look The look is thin ribbons. It looks best where the sun would lighten your hair. You don't have to do the back of your hair. Face framing ribbons look the best.
4. After you finish one strand, wrap saran wrap around it to eliminate bleeding of color, and continue to do this with each strand. This helps processing and so you can monitor the lightening.
5. Use the wand on other strands going up the hair a little so you don't get a harsh line of demarcation.
6. Check the color after 10-15 minutes by removing some of the dye, and recover with the saran wrap if it's not light enough. Keep checking every 5 minutes. When it is light enough, rinse it out (don't use shampoo because it is bleach being used) and condition.
7. Blow dry to get idea of color change.
8. Apply dye again but only to the ends for 10 minutes. This is done to get a gradual change and ombre effect. You can do this as many times as you want to get the look you like. Don't forget to use the saran wrap.
9. Wash out and deep condition, then style.
10. To get ideas, go on the internet and "Google" Bayalage looks etc.
11. If you want, go to a salon for a budget trim of the ends (about 1/2 inch) after doing the Bayalage. because bleaching can dry out hair. This is not essential, though.
12. It is not a god idea to do this on previously bleached hair.
13. This looks good with wavy or curled hair because when it is straight, the look is very obvious.
14. If this is your first time, don't over do it.
< Previous Post Next Post >