Spring Makeup Tips from Celebrity Makeup Artist Leslie Lopez
Those of us in the U.S. are enjoying the extra hour of sun thanks to daylight savings. And with the warmer weather that's hopefully here to stay, I got a chance to speak to Leslie Lopez, makeup artist to celebrities like Kate Hudson, Penelope Cruz, Eva Mendez and more to share her tips on how to look hot for spring 2011.
See my Q&A with her:
Q: What are some new makeup trends coming up for spring that are a must?
A: "For me, it's not so much about the trend, [because] sometimes the trend doesn't go with everyone's skin tone or hair color. I just feel like everyone should be treated as an individual." She recommends that you can look on trend and be beautiful by adapting the trend to fit your specific needs. Lopez says, this season's "it" color is coral in blushes and lipsticks.
Q: People, of course, want to have that natural "glow" without subjecting their body to UV rays this season. What do you recommend?
A: "I like the St. Tropez Wash Off Body Mousse. It's a pretty natural looking tan that you can get without sunbathing and damaging your skin. I'm from the Caribbean, and I would say I have olive colored skin. When I don't get sun, if I [use the St. Tropez Mousse] for a couple of days, it gives me almost like a Caribbean tan. It's really nice."
Q: I heard through the rumor mill that you bronzed Gwyneth Paltrow for the Oscars. Can you describe what you used on her and how you gave her that glow?
A: "I applied the St. Tropez Wash Off Body Mousse on her arms and legs to give her skin a sun-kissed glow. She already had a little bit of color on her face, but I wanted to even out her complexion. For the ultimate glamorous sheen, I added the St. Tropez Gold Skin Illuminator on her cheek bones, chest and shoulders."
1. "Before applying any self tanner, you should exfoliate the skin, so that the dry patches are gone," says Lopez. Try St. Tropez Tan Optimizer Body Polish.
2. Moisturize your body allover for a smooth canvas. Try St. Tropez Tan Optimizer Body Moisturizer.
3. Next, pump St. Tropez Wash Off Bronzing Mousse onto an applicator mitt and sweep it from top to toe for even coverage.
4. Wait a few minutes before getting dressed and avoid getting wet for at least four hours. Shower off to reveal a naturally golden glow.
5. For a last tip, Lopez says, "You can apply the St. Tropez Skin Illuminator, which is very pretty, on your shoulders, collarbones and cheekbones. And, you can also mix it with a mousse, and apply to cheeks to get a sun-kissed color."