Health & beauty
Posted by Cinya Burton on 09/13/12 at 09:00AM
We can all agree that gifts with purchase are pretty awesome -- who doesn't like free stuff? But sometimes the lipstick shade isn't quite right for you, or you'd prefer a lighter moisturizer. You're not one to complain, though. Luckily, with this new gift with purchase you don't have to. If you spend $35 or more on Estée Lauder products at Macy's you can choose your own free gift. Everyone receives:
•A cosmetic bag
•A sample of Sumptuous Extreme Bold Mascara
•Pleasures Eau de Parfum Purse Spray
•Deluxe travel size Soft Clean Tender Creme Cleanser
And then you can choose between several skin care product samples (like Advanced Night Repair, Daywear Advanced Multi-Protection Ant-Oxidant, and Perfectly Clean Cleanser or Perfectionist [CP+R], Resilience Lift Firming/Sculpting Face & Neck…
Posted by Total Beauty on 09/12/12 at 12:00PM
So far most of the runways during New York Fashion Week have been flooded with boho braids, edgy ponytails, and classic looses waves. Which is why we were giddy over the uber elegant twisted updos at The Row. Not only is the look the perfect combo of understated glamour and simple coolness, but it's also totally achievable at-home. To create the casual yet sophisticated style yourself check out these tips from Kerastase Paris hairstylist Odile Gilbert:
Step 1: Prep damp hair with Kerastase Ciment Thermique, $39, and Kerastase Mousse Volumactive, $41, to allow for a smoother, quicker blow out.
Step 2: Using a blow-dryer roughly dry hair wrapping strands around fingers as you go for more texture.
Step 3: Dived hair into two sections behind each ear.
Step 4: Twist each… Get tutorial »
Posted by Total Beauty on 09/11/12 at 04:06PM
Pastel colors and the moto-chic trend may seem like polar opposites, but the nail design at VEDA's 2013 Fashion Week presentation proved that spring palettes can still be edgy. Drawing inspiration from VEDA's collection of leather, psychedelic prints, and tie-dye dresses, Butter LONDON's new Global Color Ambassador, Katie Hughes, created the custom "Cosmic Nail" to complement VEDA's effortlessly cool vibe.
To get the look:
1. Start by painting some of your nails in butter LONDON Toff, $14, and other nails in butter LONDON Sloane Ranger, $14. Alternate the mauve and olive colors in a non-specific order on both hands.
2. Let this dry completely, and then paint a stripe of butter LONDON Union Jack Black, $14, up the center of the nail for a geometric vibe.
3. Let this dry, and…
Posted by Total Beauty on 09/11/12 at 10:00AM
Are you a fan of Burt's Bees Lip Balm? Prove it -- by entering their contest, that is.
Burt's Bees is launching the "Raise Your Burt's" Facebook contest to find the No. 1 Burt's Bees fan. How do you enter?
1. Post a photo of yourself into one of the eight categories on Burt's Bees Facebook page: Cutest animal, youngest, best kiss face, most one with nature, globe-trotter, most socially conscious, most original, or most worn out tube.
2. Then, fans will vote on their favorite photos in each category.
3. If you're chosen as a semi-finalist, you'll create a video and Burt's Bees will choose three finalists.
4. Finally, fans will vote on "The Natural Champion."
If you're a semifinalist you could win 100 personalized lip balms (that should last you awhile!). And finalists have…
Posted by Total Beauty on 09/10/12 at 04:21PM
One of our favorite Fashion Week nail obsessions so far is from Lauren Moffatt's '60s country club-themed presentation. Models wore dresses in shades of honey yellow and mustard orange, looking as if they were straight out of a Wes Anderson film. The diagonal nails were inspired by the designer's quirky collection and created by OPI. We have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of these gorgeous diagonal nails that look like a slanted, slightly askew French manicure. Here's how to get the look:
1. Start with two coats of OPI Don't Touch My Tutu, $8, and let the basecoat dry completely.
2. Next, freehand a diagonal tip on each nail in OPI A Roll in the Hague, $8, for a pretty, dark orange diagonal.
3. If you don't have a steady freehand, try using a thin paintbrush for… Read More »